Thursday, January 23, 2014

Birthday Snap Shots

It was a great day to turn 44!

I started the day catching up on Facebook and tons of birthday wishes! Plus, a cup of coffee, of course.

I went from the iPad to reading We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, which I finished later in the day. It was pretty good. I loved the beginning and the end, the middle was only ok.

Then I put on my shoes and hand-dyed socks by Sarah Smith for a long walk down the hill to the neighborhood coffee shop.

A cardinal sang Happy Birthday to me!

Hot chocolates, lattes and donuts!

Family in shadow.

Jeff and the kids all had the day off since it was Martin Luther King day so we decided to spend the day in Fort Worth. First stop, a new little restaurant...

These chips were delicious!

Many cool red chairs.

Next stop was the lovely Fort Worth Botanical Gardens.

Benjamin spent a bunch of time tracing the path of this pool and fountain.

As I turn 44, I've been married for nearly half my life. Happy!

Saw my initials on a bumper sticker.
 Zen garden.

Bamboo pathway.

Heron and tea house.

My family through the trees.
Stones, boots, skirt.

We drove past this sign outside the botanical gardens -- the 71 is the temperature! It was a gorgeous, stunning, perfect day!

I wanted to check out a local area chocolate shop called "Dude Sweet Chocolate." We found one in the trendy new West 7th shopping area in Fort Worth.

They started their business right before we moved from TX and now have three retail shops.

They offer samples of everything!

Jeff bought me this fancy box of truffles which includes such flavors as "wild mushroom and black garlic," and "pineapple and sage."

More dessert... of the more traditional type. I chose chocolate chocolate chip and banana gelato.

Benjamin and I finished the evening with several rounds of canoeing. Normally I dominate in this event, but he beat me several times. Apparently, I've gotten weak and slow in my old age.

I don't necessarily need anything special for my birthday, but this day was super fun from start to finish. What a lucky girl I am.

5 comments:

Joanne S said...

I missed it! Happy Belated Birthday!!!

You look so very happy in these photos. That makes me happy. I think I will chose those two flavors next time I visit the Gelato Fiasco. I had Mango last time. All by itself. I needed something to cut the sweet.

It's not 71 here. Not even in the house.

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Too funny: saw the socks and thought, gee, those look sorta like the ones my in drawers. Then I kept reading LOL! I need to make more, but Target quit carrying the white cotton socks in the weight I like several years ago...bummers! Need to find a good all-cotton sock and stock up! Glad you had such a fun birthday--thanks for letting us tag along!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great day!!!!!

Kristin L said...

Aww, what a great looking day!

Charlotte Scott said...

Happy belated birthday! Looks like a wonderful day!