Sunday, January 02, 2011

Last Project of 2010

It was quite nice to wrap up my creative year with this piece.
It was commissioned by a friend of mine in Dallas. She wanted something to hang above her bed and incorporating some of the home dec fabrics she had used in the bedding and interior design of the room. We talked about what elements she especially liked in my work and what themes she wanted to touch on -- home, growth, comfort, family.

I created a contemporary landscape with stacked house shapes and leafy stalks leaning in to shelter the entire piece.
I really enjoyed each part of the process -- the surface design with the handwriting, the hand stitching and choosing the embellishments.
The initial is created with gold foil. I love using denim in my work. I think it sets a tone of comfort. I always felt comfortable in my friend's home, so I am delighted that this piece is a part of it.

I'm always eager to work on small fiber collage and art quilt commissions. You can check out more examples and get a bit more info on the Commissions page on this blog.

7 comments:

Brenda Gael Smith said...

The colours in this piece are very restful and yet there is a gentle energy to the composition too. Summer breeze, makes me feel fine...

Gerrie said...

I love the composition and the way you worked it into a piece that is wide and short!

Vicki W said...

I agree with Gerri, the composition really makes this work. It looks like a very special and personalized piece.

Kristin L said...

Wonderful. I really says all teh things you set out for it to. I'd love to see it in it's new home -- it looks so cozy and restful and definitely something one could live with for a long time.

Diane Perin said...

What a beautiful piece, Deborah! Wonderful elements and colors -- I'll bet your friend is thrilled! A great way to end 2010 -- and I know you'll be doing even more great art in 2011!

Jeannie said...

A wonderful piece of art, Deborah! I love the symbolism and composition. The owners should sleep well with this above their heads.

Karen Rips said...

The handstitching is great, I love the french knots.