Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Work

I've got a deadline coming up. Deadlines are good motivators.

One of my small art quilt groups issued a challenge. It's a follow up to the long+skinny challenge we did about three years ago. It's short+wide this time. The Dallas Quilt Show has a "large applique" category that usually has very few entries. The only requirement to fit the large size is that the quilt be at least 72" on at least one side. We thought it would be "fun" to flood the category -- but we exploited the definition by making them 72" long, but only 12 to 18" wide. You may remember my entry: Four Layered Lillies. So, same thing this time around, except horizontal.
What a messy shot. But can you see how long it is? That red hill is hanging off the edge of the table in the foreground and you can't even see the sun peeking over the horizon on the other end of the table.

You can see I'm returning to the elements of my 12x12 quilt "Seven Houses Five Trees." Surface design, paint, embroidery, raw edges, bright colors....

By the way, the reason we originally did vertical quilts was so we wouldn't have to sew super long sleeves. Yeah, not looking forward to that.

9 comments:

Gerrie said...

I know I will love this already. What fun!!

Dale Anne said...

It's going to be FABULOUS Deborah and so YOU!!!

Kristin L said...

It's gonna be great. I can't wait to see all the patterns and textures I know you'll add!

Esch House Quilts said...

What a fun challenge! I love what you have so far and look forward to seeing it finished.

I'm with you on the hanging sleeve - I hate attaching them.

Pam said...

Deborah does your machine have a blind hem stitch? you can attach the that way..... WIP looks great - can't wait to see it at the show - or DAFA ... HNY! PP

Pam said...

ha ha sleeve with the blind hem stitch... p

Terry Grant said...

OK, you have inspired me. I have a BIG piece to make soon and I don't generally work big, but neither do you! If you can do it, so can I.

Amy said...

This looks fantastic, Deborah! Cannot wait to see it finished and hanging at the show.

Melly Testa said...

This is impressive, Deborah. Large indeed.