Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yum!

I haven't posted in a week. No good reason. I guess I'm just not finding blog fodder. And I don't have any good, current, interesting pictures. And you know what I think about a post without pictures. (Bleck.)

While I was ironing fabric tonight, I jotted several blog post ideas on my dry erase board and I promise to take some pix in the daylight tomorrow, so maybe the next week or so will be more interesting.

I had the luxury of running some errands last night. I hardly ever go out by myself in the evening. That's family time in addition to homework coaching, dinner fixing etc. But after a weekend jam packed with sporting events and a miserable Monday home sick with Claire, I really needed to get out!

(Spending time with Claire isn't miserable, of course. We watched Price is Right and an old episode of Password on the Game Show Network. Isn't that what you're supposed to do when you're home sick? That's what I remember from the late '70s.)

Anyway, I spent some time flipping through magazines at Barnes and Noble. I found an unwrapped copy of the much-discussed Quilters' Home and was disappointed that the pictures of the controversial quilts were not bigger. I digress...

I also found a recipe for Lasagna Soup. I didn't want to buy the magazine, so I took a picture of the page with my iPhone. Plus, after reading through the recipe, it looked easy enough to make without following strict directions.

It was so fantastic. I just loved it!
Photo via Family Fun. I told you I didn't have any of my own pictures.

Here are my abbreviated directions.

Lasagna Soup
Brown a tube of sausage.
Add chopped onion.
Add garlic, basil and oregano.
Add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste.
Add a big can of chopped tomatoes.
Add 6 cups of chicken broth.
Simmer.
Add 8 oz of pasta and cook until done.
Mix half a container of ricotta with a handful of Parmesan.
Put a mound of the cheese in each bowl.
Ladle the soup over the cheese.

I just love the idea of pouring soup over something that is already in the bowl. It makes me think of table side service at a fancy restaurant.

Emily, you could probably make this yourself! (Emily's mom informs me that Emily has had to resort to reading my archives since I've been such a delinquent blogger.)

2 comments:

Kristin L said...

Sounds like good winter food.

I looked up the "shocking" quilts and found them to be more "thought provoking." I think JoAnne's concern was that children might see these pictures, but really, how many pre-teens look at quilt magazines at JoAnne's? I know my kids are far more mesmerized by the sparkly cheap pens and stickers that tend to be near checkout. ;-)

Lucy said...

Hi Deborah,
Emily will be excited to see she that not only do you have a new post, but that she IS IN IT! Ha! Now I know what to make for dinner this week, too.