Sunday, February 10, 2008

You were so right.

A few weeks ago I asked for suggestions on how to finish my small coffee cup art quilts. Many of you mentioned steam! Stitched steam? Steam with words in it? Tulle? I considered lots of options. I also wanted to add some words and I thought I'd try something new... rub ons!

I found a sweet little package of rub-on words in the tiny scrapbook section at the grocery store. Everything was marked way way down because they were eliminating the scrapbook section. I wonder who thought it was a good idea to sell that stuff right next to the cereal anyway. Odd.

Here is the little quilt, scissors, the rub-on and the rubbing tool (popsicle stick).
Earlier I was wiring some beads. That's why the pliers are there.

It worked pretty well. I'm not sure if it will stay forever, or if it's truly "archival," but I don't care. It's just a little piece of art to hang above the coffee maker, or wherever.And then the steam. I just cut a random piece of organza and stitch it down incorporating folds, curves and layers. I let the top hang over the edge of the border of the quilt.I like it. It's a lot sweeter than my usual style. But that's good sometimes, yes?
Here is another piece in the same style. I added a small metal embellishment to this one. And lots of steam. Wow. It must be really hot, be sure to blow on it before you take a sip lest you burn your tongue. These both were sent off as birthday gifts to two special people. I wish we could share a cuppa in person.

4 comments:

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

That steam really works! I can almost smell the coffee or whatever.

Kristin L said...

Very cute. Nice finish on both of these.

Sharon said...

I like these 2 pieces a lot. I never thought that a rub-on would stick to the fabric! Interesting possibilities, maybe. Love your "steam" - it really works!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is just too cute. You are amazing, I'd never have come up with the way you arranged the steam. You can actually 'see' these things and interpret them, can't you.