Monday, June 04, 2007

Pin Cushions

Look at these little cuties. They were so fun to make! I made one for each of the Frayed Edges and another for Joanne -- she blogged about it earlier this week. (Kathy blogged about her's too.)

And I made an extra for myself, I confess.

I made the decorative, coordinating pins from shrink plastic. I think I originally read a tutorial on how to make them here ... but it's super easy. (Use a sharpie. Draw something cute on shrink plastic about 1/2 inch wide. Stick a pin through. Bake as directed. Yes... bake with the pin.)

And since Kate had a birthday recently, I continued the concept with a coordinating covered tape measure and a little needle book. Here is the little sewing trio on Kathy's polka dot couch -- and with Kate's polka dot pants.

Everyone thought the little tape measure was a sachet, so they were surprised when I pulled out the tape measure. You can press the button on top to wind it back up. Isn't it fun to have pretty, creative, hand made treasures in your sewing room?


Because, really, how inspiring is this? Not very.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love the pins! Please note that they are now on my "wish list" for "what to give mom". I would use them for my bulletin board where wonderful art work by Claire and Benjamin hangs.

Kristin L said...

Totally cute pins and cushions. Glad you have a great time in Maine :-)

laura west kong said...

wow! I've got to try making those pins. thanks for sharing

Nicky said...

Really cute pins! What a great idea! Where do you get shrink plastic from?

Unknown said...

Agree with the others - VERY cute!

I'd like to try making a couple with African fabrics.

Thanks!

Kyra
www.BlackThreads.blogspot.com