Monday, February 15, 2016

Brimming and Cultivate

I'm thrilled to donate these two small art quilts to the Studio Art Quilt Associates Spotlight Auction at our upcoming conference.

Brimming, 6.5 x 4.5

Cultivate, 6.5 x 4.5

It's a bit of a tricky endeavor to make these quilts. SAQA requires that the quilts be 6 x 8... but they will be packaged in nice plastic sleeves with white mats that have a 4.5 x 6.5 window. I mean, it's not really that complicated, it just takes planning and measuring.

The key is a frame cut to size so I can constantly check and recheck that the design falls within the window.


You can probably tell that these two pieces were created from the scraps (and inspiration) from my recent quilt, Nourished.



I started on one and felt unsure, so I started on another. Then I stitched on both of them and wasn't really sure how they would turn out. In the end, I like both of them and I'm happy they will be included in the auction. They are surprising different considering how similar they are. (Right?)



In those shots at the top, I cropped them to the size they will appear within the frame. Here are some uncropped images. Edges are left unfinished so there isn't any bulk in the plastic sleeve.





I didn't really plan it, but the titles are really appropriate for SAQA. Our organization is *brimming* with opportunities and potential for meeting other art quilters and learning about our art form. And SAQA really does *cultivate* awareness and development for artists and art quilts.

Will you be at the conference? I'm looking forward to seeing you!


3 comments:

Vivian Helena said...

Hope to attend one some day. Love your donation.

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

I love them! Wish I could be there.

Rayna said...

Would be there if I were not spending the winter in Florida. Have fun!