Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Glimpse

I am thrilled to share my latest, largest art quilt with you.

Glimpse, 60x24

On a bus ride in Chicago, I caught a quick view of a bright, red, bare branch. The color, the lines and the mood made such an impression. Inspired by train and bus rides in cities and county sides around the world, I combined images from memories that stuck with me, even though I saw them for only a fleeting moment.

I am also thrilled that it will be included in the upcoming Dinner At Eight special exhibit, An Exquisite Moment. My "exquisite moment" was that fleeting moment of inspiration and beauty as seen through the window of a bus or train. The exhibit will premier at the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach this summer and continue to the IQF shows in Houston and Cincinnati.

The quilt includes a windmill and suggestion of a midwestern grassy prairie. The windmill was created with a freezer paper stencil and acrylic paint.

There are also bits of newspaper and magazine pages suggesting the trash and newsstands along the streets of a city.

I created sheer overlays of tulle using enlarged lines of handwriting... suggesting graffiti or overheard bits of conversation.

I painted the background grid by wrapping a used paper towel roll with wavy lines of string, dabbing the string with paint and rolling the tube across the fabric before adding more paint and re-rolling to cover the entire background.

Gray triangles mimic reflections in windows.

This quilt is a departure for me. It has a bit of a hazy, dark feeling, I think. Sometimes it's good to explore images and feelings that are gritty and uncomfortable. But, there are always bits of brightness... maybe just a glimpse.

4 comments:

Jo said...

awesome piece; I've seen those trees - also a quick glimpse from a car on a very busy street - I think it's a great piece - you get better every day!

kathy said...

another beautiful piece full of meaning! Love, love, love it!

Anonymous said...

This is a real stunner Deborah! I love the play of vividness of the red against the background and the contrast with the other elements in the quilt.

Joanne S said...

All the Deborah bits are here but with a twist. And that makes it all the more interesting. You are growing, changing, and I can't wait to see what you will make next.

Oh, do I have to say I love it???? I do.