Monday, April 08, 2013

Philly

We took a quick trip to Philadelphia over Easter weekend. Just a few snap shots...

Charming little doorway in Elfreth's Alley. Apparently, people have been living on this tiny little street for longer than any other "neighborhood" in our whole country. I bet it would be a fun place to live if you were a real history buff... and didn't mind tourists wandering around constantly.

We had dinner at City Tavern where the food and the staff are inspired by the time period. I had turkey pot pie. The best part of our evening was talking with the harpsichord player about his knowledge of music from that time. He was a character!

We also took a walking tour led by this gentleman.

Papers in Ben Frankin's (replica) printing shop. I just love all those stacks of hand printed flyers!

Classic Philly Cheesesteak. Delicious!

Claire and I enjoying a brief boat ride on the Delaware River.

We wandered through Chinatown on our way back to our hotel and had an AMAZING dinner. Not at this place... but I just loved this sign posted on the door.

We celebrated Easter at Christ Church. It was their 317th Easter morning service... the oldest Episcopal church in the US.

"Proclaim Liberty."

I think it's pretty fascinating how the Liberty Bell gain such fame. It's really just a bell. A broken bell. But it certainly has inspired and symbolized great change and justice all over the world. I'm glad to have seen it.

I love this shot from inside the National Constitution Center. It's a fabulous museum dedicated to the constitution of the United States. I love the huge flag and contemporary setting and Liberty Hall through the windows in the distance.

I let out a total book-nerd gasp when I discovered this automaton was on display at the Franklin Institute! It's the Maillardet Automaton and it inspired the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret.
Under the figure, there are tons of individually crafted brass plates that are incorporated into the mechanism of the figure which all the hand to actually draw four pictures and write three poems. Incredible.

They had some other great displays in the "Amazing Machines" exhibit. Including this one!

1 comment:

Del said...

Thanks for the great post. I'd never heard of this amazing machine and will certainly try to see it if I am ever in Philly. Del