Monday, January 03, 2005

Creative Update

I haven't done much super creative today -- or yesterday for that matter. But, I'm feeling good about the general direction we're moving in. Jeff and I did lots of cleaning and reorganzing yesterday. The tree is down. Gosh, we've got a lot of room in the living room and dining room now that there are not stray ornaments everywhere, piles of presents and an extra four chairs at the table.

This means that some of the stuff got moved to the table in my studio and it has not been put away yet. Arg.

I did get back to preparing some new rubber stamps. I recently bartered for two sets of alphabet stamps from Vickie Enkoff. They are unmounted, so I have to cut out each little letter and put some hook (from hook and loop tape specially designed for rubber stamps) on the back. I have about 6 more numbers to do from the first set. They have the entire upper and lower case alphabet to do on the second set. This is probably a job that would be well suited to wait until The Amazing Race, Alias and West Wing are on later in the week.

I'm generally not a fan of rubber stamps. But I think this is going to work out really well and I'm excited to try something new.

I intend to use these stamps to put some words on the seasons quilts. "in the bleak mid winter frosty wind made moan, earth like iron, water as a stone. Snow had fallen snow on snow, snow on snow, in the bleak mid winter, long ago." I love that hymn. I have a wonderful memory of one Advent in Lawrence at Canterbury House for the evening Eucharist and two students playing it on their recorders. Beautiful.

(Recorders for five and two year olds on the other hand... not so much. Please make a note not to give recorders as Christmas gifts to anyone who has not asked for them.)

My other creative endeavors of late have included reading magazines. I am really enjoying the new Cloth Paper Scissors. Sometimes I wonder if my hobby is really creating art, or just reading about it and looking at it. (You can wile away a lot of time linking from one quilt artist's site to another. Which I have done many a'time.)

No comments: