Monday, January 04, 2016

Fort Worth Museum Outing

My mom is visiting for a few weeks and I've been wanting to visit a few exhibits in Fort Worth. So... off we went!

Our first stop was the Modern in Fort Worth to see the Kehinde Wiley exhibition. We were both really glad we watched this video before we saw the show.  I didn't take too many pictures, but here are a couple of highlights.

Beyond his enormous portraits, several works were installed in unique settings, like these luminous icons.



I was especially intrigued by the overlapping of foreground and background. Here is a piece from his World Stage: Israel series.


See how the ornate background pattern overlaps the shorts and t-shirt here?


Another example. Oh, these cranes!

I found an interview where he talked about the subject's personal background and how sometimes a person's experiences and environment overlap everything about them. (I mentioned this bit of inspiration in my latest newsletter. Are you subscribed?)

Mom and I took a mirror selfie with this toga-clad gentleman.


We walked from the Modern to the Fort Worth Community Arts Center which has several nice, small galleries. I wanted to see the Artists' Books exhibition.


Some very cool pieces of work here! They even had a table with gloves so viewers could actually touch, study, read, experience and enjoy the books.


There were "works on paper" in several of the other small galleries. Anyone can send work and every piece is for sale for $100. The installation of all those pieces of such variety is pretty cool.



Every piece was hung with simple binder clips.


We also visited the folk art exhibit at the Amon Carter. And of course, I visited my two favorite sculptures at the Modern. (Local friends, can you guess which ones?) I'll have more pictures of that in my next post.

3 comments:

Jane LaFazio said...

wow! what a great museum day! you saw some really wonderful work. thanks for sharing!

Sangeeta said...

Hi Deborah, thanks for the post , we are also in the Dallas are so looking forward to a trip with my daughter to the museum.

Linda said...

Looks like a great time!