Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Slicing Uprooted

In yesterday's post, I returned to the process of created Uprooted. Scroll down to see the red tulle tree and the fabric collage.

I hated that tree. Ug. It was so leggy and wide and red and ungraceful. Yuck. Maybe it could have been fine, but it was making me very crabby. I did nothing with it for four or five days and I still hated it. Nothing to lose at that point. So I sliced it up.

Here I kept the horizontal strips, but rotated them to vertical.

Horizontal might be better?

More slicing then reconfigure the house a bit?

House on the left? No this is too close to where I began. If I want to create something better and revised, I need to really revise.

I sliced the bits into smaller bits and explored a log-cabin-esque composition.

Even smaller pieces. Crazy quilt. Bleck.

Arranging the pieces somewhat by color?

Putting the sky back on top? Maybe...

I had to recreate and add a few pieces to make sure it would still be big enough, but this is the layout I settled on.

Keep in mind that all of that took several days of playing around and reminding myself that it's good to try something new.

I reconfigured each section into larger blocks so I could sew it together more easily. Sorta.

Reconstructed!

Can you see the tiny zig zag that holds each piece together?

I butted each piece together, then fused a strip on the back to hold them together, then did the zig zag from the front. It seemed to work pretty well.

Not that I'd recommend slicing a 50x50 inch quilt into more than 70 pieces and sewing them back together.

Tomorrow I'll show you the additional details I added and the finished quilt.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

That's a gutsy thing to do. Nikki would be proud of you!

Unknown said...

I love it, it's beautiful!