Sunday, January 18, 2015

Hey! My Quilts in Print!

I wrote an article in the latest SAQA Journal!

It's all about the Radiation Art Quilt Exhibit. (You may remember I posted regularly about my process in making my quilt Oldest Living Tree: RadioCarbon Dating which is pictured in the spread below.)

It was so fun to contact all the SAQA members who are included in the exhibit and ask them about their quilts and their creative process. It's truly an international exhibit, so I was getting emails from Germany, England, Spain and beyond! My friend Barbara Lange coordinated the exhibit and I was really honored to be able to help spread the word about the exhibit through this article. (SAQA members receive the journal. If you're an art quilter, you should consider joining.)

I'm also included in the current issue of Quilting Arts!

Jane Davila is writing a series of article about hand embroidery stitches. This issue focuses on seed stitch.

My quilt Seven Houses Five Trees has a bunch of seed stitch adding texture and color to the sky. (It's part of my 12x12 collection.)

It's especially nice to be included with these women... all dear friends and inspiring artists!

2 comments:

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Go Deborah! I was reading the SAQA article, saw your quilt, but didn't see your name and thought there was an editing error, then realized you WROTE the article...well done! And Happy Birthday a day early!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on being published. I saw the magazine article after finding your blog and recognized your work. Your school commission speaks volumes to me. LOVE it!!