Thursday, January 15, 2015

Around and About in Dallas

We had a house full of people we love after Christmas, including my niece and nephew. While they were in town, we ventured out to Medieval Times. It was so fun.

Lots of people roll their eyes when you mention Medieval Times, but it's just fun! What a great show. Sure, the food isn't stellar, but it wasn't awful at all. And how can you go wrong when your family fills up an entire bench and we're all smiling and cheering for the Red and Yellow Knight!?

We also ventured back to the Dallas Museum of Art recently. I really wanted to see their new Bouquets exhibit. It's unique for many reasons, including one gallery where visitors can sketch their own bouquet.

This may be my favorite piece in the exhibit. Note the red wall. Every gallery in the exhibit was painted a different color.

It's Wildflowers, Queen Anne's Lace and Poppies by Pierre Bonnard in 1912.

We also got to see the Isa Genzken Retrospective. I wasn't familiar with this artist and I couldn't really wrap my head around much of the work, but I loved these concrete sculptures and the way they were displayed.


I also liked this arrangement of sculptures, especially for its self potential.

After the DMA we went to Urban Taco for dinner. I love tacos... this place was amazing. I will definitely be going back.

The same weekend, Jeff and visited the Dallas Arboretum. This is my favorite site at the gardens. Crepe Myrtle Allee. I love it in any season, but especially when I can get a shot with no people in it.

Beautiful display of ornamental kale at the end of the allee.

One more little piece of art. I gave Jeff this mobile for Christmas. I found it at the Cottonwood Art Fair. It's made by Allie Winningham of Terra Firma Studios in Austin.
Most of her work are mosaics, but she had several mobiles. I fell in love with this solar system model. Because... you know, my family loves art and science!

No comments: