Jackie Lams chose "science" as the theme for the next Printed Fabric Bee challenge. Even before I decided what kind of imagery I'd use, I figured a splattered painted background would be a good first layer. Here's blue.
Then I added green. Lincoln joined me.
I wanted a bit of an asymmetrical splatter.
I did some test pieces along with the piece I anticipated sending off to Jackie. On the left, I splatter the paint onto dry fabric. Or the right I splattered the paint onto wet fabric. Which do you prefer?
After considering DNA, solar system, botanical chart and atom diagrams, I settled on brain synapses as the second layer.
Here I'm cutting out a freezer paper stencil for the central blob for each synapse. I believe it's called the soma.
Using a sponge spouncer, I painted through the stencil.
Then I added those "dendrites" freehand with a thin brush.
Finally I added a nucleus within each soma with a black pigma pen. Here's my 12x12 piece that will go off to Jackie.
And here is the 6x6 piece that will be offered in The Printed Fabric Bee Science give-away.
The Painted Fabric Bee blog to see more science fabrics and to enter to win the give-away.
This is really neat, thanks for sharing!
I love it Deborah! What a great combination of techniques!
Thank you so much for sharing your process. I like how you started with an idea for the fabric and then let that inspire what the theme would be. And I love the finished product Beautiful job.
Fun these! What a fun interpretation of the theme.
Post a Comment