Friday, March 07, 2014

SAQA Trunk Show

I finished this quite some time ago, but I'm just getting around to sharing it. Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) is gathering small art quilts that measure 7x10 inches. They will be exhibited at our annual conference in May and then they will travel in a trunk to various venues.

Here's my contribution. It's called Indigo Horizon.


I bought that blue strip while I was at Quilt Festival in Houston this fall. I just love the color palette. The "sky" section is stamped with paint and a block wrapped with yarn.

When I contribute to a large traveling collection, I try to create a piece of art that really looks like me! When it's out in the world, I want it to be recognizable. So, I incorporated many of my favorite techniques and motifs.

I haven't used square sequin in awhile, but I still love them!

Loose thread tails. You can also see the tiny halo of purple at the edge where I've painted the raw edge of all three layers of the quilt.
Sometimes it's so nice to work on something small. I have a few relatively large quilts in the works. Though the process is mostly the same, it certainly takes more time and thought to get from start to finish on a large piece.

No comments: