I wanted to do some free motion quilting in large sweeping arcs over the main composition of the quilt. Here I've marked some general guides.
I used a tiny brush to paint over some of the white edges that were peeking out from the pre-quilted map section. Tedious, but I think it was worthwhile.
I hate squaring up and measuring and remeasuring quilts. Sometimes I use this laser level to try to get a good 90 degree angle at the corner.
Then I added a fused binding. Ug. I hated this dark blue, so I ripped it off.
And replaced it with this light blue.
You can see a piece of parchment paper sitting under the quilt in the shot above. I lay the pre-fused 1 inch binding over the edge of the quilt and let the other half rest on the parchment, then press. Then I flip the quilt over, fold the binding to the back and press the back side. I sew a straight stitch over this binding 1/8 of an inch from the edge of the quilt to secure everything.
Here you can see I added some red embroidery floss over the binding in the red section at the top. I love this effect. Then cleaning with a lint brush in prep for photography.
Ta da! It's called Orion Odyssey.
Landing sites in North and South America.
Europe, Middle East and Asia.
One last detail with a pocket from one of Jeff's old flight suits.
Thanks so much for all your enthusiasm, support, suggestions and wonderful comments. Documenting the process of creating this quilt was almost as instructive for me as creating the quilt itself.
Clean up the huge mess in the studio.