So I finally came back to it with the challenge of using this format to create a wall-hung art quilt.
I planned to created a two-sided quilt, cut it up, sew it into small vessels then sew the vessels back together. I wan't sure how it would come together, but I knew the only way to find out was to work through the process. (As is true with most things.)
I shared most of this process on FB and IG, but now it's all in one place here in this blog post.
I decided to create a Kansas landscape and gave myself the parameter of working with only my stash of pre-fused fabrics.
I built the design of felt for batting thinking that would give the vessels more body and structure.
Lots of wrinkly bits!
Beginning to be tamed, fused, flattened.
Here are the front and the back side by side.
Next I needed to quilt the whole thing. I started with this "wheat" section leaving some long threads to add movement and texture. I had to stitch from both the front and the back to get the loose threads on both sides. Sort of tedious.
And then I cut it into 6 inch squares.
As I began to form the vessels, I marked the dimensions on the edges and hand stitched.
Here's the first one I formed. It's fine, but the center square is not an actual square. My angles were a little off which skews the shape a little. Maybe not a big deal, but I needed to find a way to get a better and more consistent result.
I wondered if just one stitch at the corners would work?
No. Still skewed and I didn't like the open edges.
Clips to the rescue. Plus measuring!
Then I just kept stitching One by one by one.
I was beginning to think about construction and pinning them to my design wall.
I was liking the way the design folded over the corners. I knew the horizontal lines of the original design would be angled because of the construction of the vessels -- but they still felt visually connected.
Then I considered angling the vessels to restore the horizontal lines.
Aha! I really liked this version and especially liked the possibility of the open squares between the vessels.
Eventually I finished stitching up all the vessels, then I stitched them together. In this time-lapse, you can see me measuring the positions for the joins and stitching them together.
Finishing this was so satisfying. It was a fun process. It's good to do something different.
I titled it Vessels: Heartland. It's 26x16x2" here's the front.
And here's the back.
I am delighted to say that it was juried into Art Quilt Elements which will open at the Wayne Arts Center in March.
I'm intrigued by this structure and have been thinking about what to do next. Actually, I even ordered some fabric with a new idea in mind. Then I got distracted by something else. So, stay tuned.