Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Printed Fabric Bee: Sunflowers

Oh goodness. I never shared my contribution to The Printed Fabric Bee for our December theme which was sunflowers, picked by Susan Purney Mark. Umm... maybe the holidays got in the way. I don't remember. 

I began by painting with watered down acrylic paint on wet fabric. Here I've got a 9x16 piece for the Queen Been and another to keep for myself.

I love what happened with wet on wet techniques.

I wanted to suggest some depth in this field of sunflowers, so little circles in the back, rubber stamp smallish shape in the middle and this larger stamp in the foreground. All over lapping a bit.

I finished with some brown dots. They really make the design much more whimsical, I think.

I grew up in Kansas, which is the Sunflower State. So that's two months of Kansas themed fabrics for The Printed Fabric Bee since I used my hometown of Junction City as the inspiration for my Old World Map fabric.

All the members of the bee created beautiful designs for this theme.

1 comment:

Vivien Zepf said...

What pretty flowers/fabrics! I think the addition of the brown dots on yours is spot-on.