Sunday, January 04, 2015

Remember the Lemon?

I posted a picture of this beautiful lemon just a couple of weeks ago. It was part of a gift bag of wonderful goodies from an artist friend. It came right off the tree in her yard.

I posted about it on Facebook and asked for advice about what to do with this one perfect meyer lemon. Someone suggested lemon ginger tea and I thought that sounded wonderful!

I did a bit of research and discovered it would be pretty easy. I peeled and chopped up that piece of ginger and simmered it with five cups of water for an hour or so. While it was simmering, I squeezed every bit of juice I could out of that lemon. I also sliced the peel into strips.

I strained the ginger pieces and added the lemon juice to the warm ginger water. I added some of this local honey and enjoyed every drop of this flavorful drink!

There was enough to last for a few days. I warmed a cup each day. It was wonderful. I may even buy a regular old lemon from the grocery store and make some more.

I candied the peels. That was something I'd never done before. A learning experience. Simple, just takes time. Sugar and water and lemon peels, then more sugar. 
I could have used them garnish drinks or fancy desserts, but we just ate them right off the plate. Tasty.

The remainder of the simple syrup from candying the peels got saved in a tiny jar to flavor cocktails or citrus desserts.

I really did use every bit of that lemon! Such a great gift!

No comments: