Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Five Projects Update -- One Completed!

Things are coming along. I've been spending a lot of time in the studio and I am acutely aware of the upcoming deadlines. Sometimes things seem to take longer than anticipated. Why is that?!

Tactile Architecture
Done! And I'm thrilled with it. It really was fun all the way through. Here are a couple of details.


Above you can see the bottom of the quilt. I struggled with how to finish the edge. I really wanted to do some overcast stitching along that bottom edge to extend that blue section, but I knew it would take a bunch of time and required a fused binding before I did the overcast stitching -- I really wanted to do a quicker zigzag edge finish. In the end, I took the time to do the fused binding and the edge stitching and I'm so glad I did. (Below you can see I also did some green overcast stitching on each side.)


This entry is due on Friday. I have not taken a good photo yet, so I'll share that with you at the end of the week.

Radiation
Last I posted, I had completed the composition for the top of the quilt and done a bit of machine stitching. I spent a couple of days doing lots of hand stitching, including all these lines around the carbon 14 molecule.


But then I ran out of floss and I had to go buy more.

I also stitched a red line showing the decay of carbon 14 over the years.

These are all stitched with the back stitch which is perfect for a beautifully controlled uninterrupted line. But, it uses so much floss! Twice as much floss is hidden on the back of the quilt. (Or eventually between the batting and the backing.)

Raditation has now been sandwiched together and I started machine quilting.

Tall Tree
I'm not supposed to share in-progress shots for this particular exhibit, so this is probably the last one you'll see. But, it's in the works. I'm switching from "tall tree" to "tall me." I had to print out this image three times to get the right size (using Rasterbator again). It will eventually be just a silhouette as you can see the traced outline on the right.


Coming Up Roses
Probably going to cross this off my list. Easter is coming. My parents will be visiting. Before they arrive I'd like to spend some time in the yard. Then while they are here, I'm looking forward to just hanging out with them. You don't need to know the reasoning. I liked the idea of preparing an entry for this exhibit, but I am totally ok with not moving forward with it.

Plus, there is a serious shift in the balance in our home and family since I've been spending so much time in the studio. Laundry piles up. Meals are more thrown together -- if at all. I'm not taking time to exercise as regularly as I should. No one is complaining. But, the reality is that I can't do it all. (Newsflash.) And I don't want to. Sometimes I want to spend time in the studio and sometimes I want to do other stuff.

Festival of Quilt Art: Home
Still excited about this one. Haven't done anything other than ponder ideas, but that's an important part of the process.


1 comment:

Kristin L said...

Woo hoo on your finished quilt! The thread color on the little houses really pulls together the whole scheme, and the overcast stitching in the borders is so worth the time. I'm doing a lot of hand sewing right now and it is going relatively quickly, yet excruciatingly slow, so I know exactly what you mean about things taking longer than expected. With one project finished and one crossed off the list, you're actually down to three, right!?! And Radiation is coming along great. I really like all the bits you've shown.