Thursday, March 01, 2012

Hand Writing on Fabric

Welcome to the STITCHED Tutorial Blog Hop!

I love to use handwriting as a graphic element in my fabric collages. People often ask me how I do it, so I am thrilled to share my process with you. It's simple, really! You should try it. I love handwriting because it is so specifically unique to every person. I also love it because it suggests communicating, story telling and expression.

Handwriting on Fabric Tutorial from Deborah Boschert on Vimeo.

*By the way... this tutorial is part of a tutorial blog hop through out March with several STITCHED artists. How fun! Check out the list of blogs at the bottom of this post.

Supplies
Kona solid fabric
Pigma Micron pen 08
Wonder Under fusible webbing (optional)
your unique handwriting!
creative spirit!
Here is the quilt I mentioned in the beginning of the video. It's titled "Allium Four Ways." At the top, I used just a sliver of the fabric with the handwriting.
Hey! That awesome background music is written and performed by Salisbury Streets. The title of the tune is "Writing Songs." Appropriate, don't you think?

Lastly, if you enjoyed this tutorial and you're interested in more about the creative process and creating a fabric collage, I bet you'd love my workshop at STITCHED. My workshop is titled "Branches, Buds and Blossoms: A Fabric Collage" and it's just one of twenty incredible workshops in the STITCHED collection. Check it out!

This video tutorial is actually part of a STITCHED tutorial blog hop. I'm happy to kick off a month of great tutorials. Check out the others here.

March 1st: Deborah -- That's me! You're here.
March 5th: Paula
March 6th: Jackie
March 8th: Mollie
March 13th:  Cindy Caraway
March 15th: Jennifer
March 20th: Kelli
March 22nd: Tracie
March 27th: Alma
March 29th: Ann Tucker

16 comments:

Alma Stoller said...

This is a great tutorial Deborah. Your handwritten fabrics are one of my favorite backgrounds in your art quilts.

Thanks for sharing.

Alma

paula said...

Looks great Deborah-I love the handwriting and can't wait to try it out.
Paula

Sequana said...

Now I'm really glad I have not quite begun your workshop project yet. I love text on fabric. This will be really FUN.

Candy said...

Great video. 3 of us are getting together next week to work together on our collages. Will send pictures. Candy

Angie said...

Great idea...just wish I liked my handwriting more.

Carol Morrissey said...

Hey Deborah! Very nice job on the video and and allium piece! I would like to incorporate some handwriting into a piece some time--haven't tried it since I visited Susan Shie's studio and we experimented with an air pen. Challenging!

Susan Lenz said...

Fabulous video! I've used pigma Micron #8 black pens for years ... but never on fabric. Thanks for sharing this!

Deb said...

A scrap book consultant for Creative Memories strongly suggest storing pens horizontally when not being used rather than vertically in a cup. This keeps the ink more evenly distributed and it doesn't all sink to the bottom with gravity where it dries? Not sure if this will help you get longer life out of your pens or not. The fabrics you create are amazing! Thanks for being so willing to share!

Unknown said...

Wonderful, go you!!! :D

Jacqueline Bryant Campbell said...

Wonderful video! Thanks for sharing.

Laura de Argentina said...

wonderful job!!! i loved it... i´ll bookmark your blog... take care!!!!

Treasures by Louise said...

Love this tutorial. Glad I discovered your blog. I'll be back to check out more!

Amalia Teresa Parra Morusiewicz said...

great video!

Serendipity that I was blogging about words - I linked to your post...


http://funfromatoz.blogspot.com/2012/03/hand-writing-serendipity.html

Sew Crazy For You said...

I love the video on writing on fabric; will have to try this...
I friended tyou on fb....we have lots of crazy quilters....

Alexandra Jones said...

Hello, can I still ask a question two years after the fact? I'm looking to do handwriting on handmade clothes. It has to be colorfast and washable. No dry cleaning. I can't imagine a Micron would work for that. Any suggestions? (Lovely work, and thanks!)

organza fabric said...

So creative and unique. It can also be used as Christmas wrapper, try writing your greeting in the fabric and wrap it to your gifts.