Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Friends in Houston

I had such a wonderful time at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. One of the very best parts of the show is connecting with friends.

Kristin (fellow 12x12 artist) and I had a fantastic time looking at quilts and talking about all kinds of things going on in our creative and personal lives.
Melly gave an excellent lecture on journaling and art quilting. Here's me with Judy Perez, Melly Testa and Sue Dennis.
It was fantastic to see Kathy Mayhew. She joined the Dallas Area Fiber Artists shortly before we moved, so I was sad not to get to know her better. It was great to re-connect.
Here is Sarah Smith doing her thing at the Make It University Open Studios! She is so full of great ideas and inspiration.
Here's Sarah again! Sarah and I met in a church parking lot after a quilt guild meeting in 2004 and we have been wonderful friends ever since.
The artists in the Beneath the Surface exhibit shared a great dinner on Friday night. I love this picture. We were really have a great time! That's Rachel Parris, Jamie Fingal, Jane La Fazio and Paula Elliot.
Barb Forrister and I shared an Open Studio time slot. Can you believe that amazing 3D tree she created?!
Carol Morrissey stopped by during my Open Studio time. It was great to see some of my Dallas arty friends. I miss them!
Here is Kristin again... this time with the amazing Tracie Huskamp. Tracie and I met by happenstance in Houston in 2008 and we've shared a special connection since then.
I volunteered at the SAQA booth with Fannie Narte on Saturday evening. This was her first trip to Festival and she was totally making the most of it.
Here's Kathy York! Kathy has great energy and I always learn something new when see each other.
There were so many more. I always wish I had taken more pictures.

After sharing many special moments with these artist/friends this weekend, I am feeling a new sense of support, encouragement, enthusiasm and support. I think it could really take me and my art to some exciting new places. For that, I am so very thankful.

6 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Oh! It looks like you had so much fun! I love that picture of you and Kristin together! And you know, you look really beautiful in every single picture! Maybe next year we'll get to see each other (and more Twelves) too!

Jeannie said...

I agree with Diane, you look beautiful, happy, and in your element in every photo. Thanks for the review of Houston and photos of those whom I follow. Have a great week.

Connie Akers said...

Deborah, I "third" the sentiment. You look great and I have no doubt you are on an amazing journey with your art heading to exciting new places. All the best!

Kristin L said...

I agree, meeting people was such a fun and inspiring part of the experience. We all have so much to share with each other and it's great to get so many creative minds together in one place! I'm so glad we had teh chance to spend time together.

Michele said...

It looks like a fun and inspiring trip!

Unknown said...

I wasn't sure you would be at festival after your move from TX, so it was such a fabulous surprise to see you! I will look forward to seeing you next year too!