Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Committment

I found this quote on a Starbuck's cup a couple of weeks ago. I think it's fantastic.

"The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating — in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life." – Anne Morriss

In fact, it keeps coming back to me as I encounter various people and situations.

This is a pretty good description about how I felt about my Lent project. Once I made the commitment to finish a small art quilt each day, I was free to actually embrace the doing of it.

I wish you could come over and we could sit on my red couch, have a cuppa and chat about it.
I've been thinking more about the completed Lent project and what I learned from it both spiritually and artistically. Several thoughtful friends have suggested I should exhibit the work. I'm beginning to put some ideas together.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

When I come can I curl up and keep my feet warm with that nice throw?

Honoré said...

I wish I could join you, too, on that red couch - something I've oft thought I'd like to have in my family room...I like your thoughts and questions about commitment and your Lent series is very inspirational. In addition to an exhibit might I also suggest a book? I think the world's more than ready; I am!

Cheers~

Brenda said...

I've enjoyed following your Lent project on your blog and admire how the timetable was both ambitious and fell within clearly defined parameters. I'd love to see an exhibition but sharing on that level gives you more to contemplate!

Terry Grant said...

Your project was great. I think you should exhibit them all together somehow, somewhere. Things like that become so much more as a group than each piece individually.

I like the idea of a manageable committment, with a beginning and an end. You feel so much satisfaction when you realize that you followed through and did what you said you would do.

Shannon (Faith and Chocolate) said...

Hi Deborah! I happened upon you...and I am so glad I did! Love your art and projects. Quite creative!
I love the quote, as well... even though I struggle at times with commitment. But it's amazing- there is a liberating, free of fear or barriers feeling when I do achieve commitment. ;)
Take care,
Shannon

Jeannie said...

I'd love to sit upon your red couch and stitch. Your Lent project would be a wonderful exhibit. Hoping you are all well and healthy. Cheers.