Saturday, January 24, 2009

Yowza!

Have you seen it yet?! I wrote an article in the new issue of Quilting Arts magazine. I am just thrilled beyond belief!
The article is about my series of illuminated art quilts. It began with the Illumination theme of our 12x12 group. I enjoyed the process of my "Fourth Day" so much, that I made several more quilts based on sacred texts and incorporating elements inspired by illuminated manuscripts. I proposed an article about my series and the process to Pokey and she accepted.

As usual, the photography in Quilting Arts in stunning. I hope you'll enjoy seeing my quilts in all their glossy glory.

One of the quilts in the magazine is "Firmament."
"Firmament" is my interpretation of the second day of creation from the story in the Book of Genesis. Rocks, an old key, a hand charm and other embellishments explore the symbolism for water and creativity.

Here is "Vibrant Layers." Here my personal sacred text is the definition of the word "vibrant." It's an exploration of energy, enthusiasm, growth and passion.
This one wasn't included in the article... so here is your first view!
There are several other wonderful artists and techniques in this issue. Surely, something will light your fire. Look for Kathy York's quilt on the cover. Jane Davila has an inspiring article about using rubber stamps. Laura Wasilowski sings the praises of hand embroidery -- you know I love this! Liz Berg tells all about monoprinting. (That's a monoprint in the center Vibrant Layers.)

Several of these quilts are in my Etsy shop. I hope you'll check them out.

I really hope you check your stash for some foils and illuminate your art!

I'll leave you with "Grow Illuminated." It's my favorite of the series.

16 comments:

Gerrie said...

My issue arrived today, but I have been too busy to look at it. Now, I must grab it and have look see. Congrats to you for the article and the lovely series.

Kristin L said...

Woo Hoo! I can't wait for my issue to arrive. And luckily now that I live in the US, I will see it sooner rather than later!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! Congratulations! I am anxious for my copy to arrive now. I hope it comes soon.
D~~~~

Jeannie said...

My issue arrived this morning and I was so excited to see Kathy's quilt on the cover and then as I was reading the table of contents your name jumped out! Congratulations! It is a wonderful and inspiring article. P.S. I have been admiring your new header on the blog for a while.Fantastic work! Cheers.

Anonymous said...

What a thrill to see that the illumination theme has inspired you to do such great things. Congratulations! (I love the warm palette in Vibrant Layers.

Beate Knappe said...

I have to wait for my issue - but this work are fantastic. Congratulation!!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I can't wait for my issue to arrive. I really like this work!

Sarah said...

Congratulations. Can't wait to get my copy and have a good read.

Kathy York said...

Congrats! The series looks fabulous! I love that you sewed rocks onto your quilts. Way to go!

Unknown said...

Mine came just after I replied to your email. I am going to enjoy it in a warm bed right now!

Lauri said...

Congratulations! I really love the "Genesis" quilt...gorgeous!

I was also reading about your quilt project(s) for the school.

(OMG. $300 for the whole YEAR?!? That is really sad!)

Anyway...last Spring I made a t-shirt quilt for our elementary school to auction off at our Spring carnival or whatever it was. The PTA gave me 9 extra large adult size school t-shirts that they had left over from years past. (Every year the school has a new t-shirt design.) It ended up being the biggest quilt I have ever made! I used the front of each different t-shirt for the blocks, then put sashing between them and used that same fabric for the border.

I don't remember the exact size but, I think each t-shirt front/block ended up being 15 or 17 inches square. And, if I remember correctly, I *think* someone paid $280 for it.
Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you need ideas.

Good luck with your project!

Karoda said...

I'll have to wait until it hits the stands...but I'm digging the series you have here and I'm a sucker for writing as a design element!

dee said...

I was so excited when I got my issue and saw your work. Love the rocks. Your details on these pieces are so great.Of course I adore the words on fabric-so lovely. Wonderful work Deborah. Congrats.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

congratulations!
got my issue the other day and quickly looked through it.. looking forward to settling in for a good read later..

Anonymous said...

Congrats Deborah!

Can't wait to see the article.

Alma

mathea said...

I just got the magazine a couple of days ago, and I finally got time to read your article last night. Thank you so much for sharing your work and taking us through the process of making one of your quilts. I love your work, and "Grow Illuminated" is my favourite too :-)