Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Also at Houston...

I was thrilled to see a big line of people waiting to make donations to Ami Simms' Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI). In January 2006, well-known quilter and teacher, Ami Simms started this program to raise awareness and fund research to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Hooray for Ami! She collects small art quilts donated by artists all over the country and auctions them on her website and at selected venues -- like International Quilt Festival in Houston.

In addition to the auction, I watched Ami talk with lots of folks about how Alzheimer's has affected them. She listened, made suggestions, offered ideas about insurance and care-giving. This is a miraculous ministry. I was able to say hello and tell her how honored I was to make a donation and win a quilt in the October auction.

And it's not just any quilt...Yes, of course, you recognize this work! It's Kristin LaFlamme's "Rooted." It's hanging in the window seat near our kitchen table. That's where we gather as a family for meals, and home work time and newspaper reading and card games. So it's perfectly suited that we have this charming artwork about home and roots. Thanks to Kristin for her generous donation and to Ami for organizing the auction.

My grandmother had Alzheimer's. It was a sad, struggle for my mom and her sisters and my grandfather. Raising money to support research is so important -- but it's also important to acknowledge the experience that so many families have shared.

I'll be donating a quilt in 2008. It's on my list of priorities and goals. In the meantime, you can bid on lots of other wonderful small quilts in the November auction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, lucky you. But wait until you see what I am getting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Deborah for donating to Ami's cause, and for buying MY quilt! I love seeing it in your house -- it looks great on your green walls. Thank you, thank you.