Thursday, August 09, 2007

Frayed Edges Show

My small art quilt group, The Frayed Edges, has a show at the Camden Library in Camden, Maine this month. I can't even begin to express how blessed I feel to be a part of this amazing group. They are wonderful friends and inspirational artists every one.

We did one collaborative project that turned out to be a huge success. We've been calling it "the grid" but it's official title is "5 Artists: 5 Views." You can see it in the middle of this wall.



As a group we each chose a photograph from each of us, some taken by one of us, some by friends or family. (My submission is of a pool in El Salvador that Jeff photographed last summer.) Then we each created a small piece of art inspired by each of the five photographs. They are hung so that each photo is represented in a column and each artist has her own row. Kate says it is really fascinating to study the common elements in each individual artists' work and the similarities and differences in how we each interpreted the photos. You can also see the original photographs mounted in the black frame on the left.

You can see close ups of my grid pieces here.

You can also see more pictures of the install day on Sarah's blog here. (Big thanks to Kate and Sarah for hanging the show and especially to Sarah who organized many many many of the details in the midst of her son's three week hospital stay. Miraculous.)

The opening is this Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. There will be brownies and punch and other munchies plus the company of some really great artists. You should stop by if you're in the area. I am so so so sad not to be there. I sent these name tags as my contribution to the celebration. (I made one for myself too.) Several of the pieces in the show are loosely inspired by the theme "home" thus the little house shape on the nametags. Now if all our homes were just a bit closer together...

3 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Oh, this looks like a lovely show! And you ARE there, even if not in body. Your work looks great. I love how the grid pieces are hung.

Anonymous said...

I am SO GLAD you make a tag for yourself too... I just love these! I can't wait for them to belatedly arrive.... ppoooooeeeeeyyyy on the USPS for goofing up this one!

Shelina said...

It looks like a great show - sure wish I could have gone. The concept of the photograph inspired work is magnificent! I bet it was interesting to compare and contrast the different work.