Saturday, August 19, 2006

This and That

One more bit of interesting stuff from the City Museum in St. Louis.

Here is a tiny little shoelace factory!

It was nestled into a little hallway. You can see the weaving machines against the wall on the left. The one is the foreground is strung with red and black and the one just behind it has all yellow. And there is the Shoelace Gentleman in the back.

Here he is again. He was actually much more friendly than he looks here.

Those machines are from the 1800s, I think. They hold something like 48 spools and whir about speedily wrapping the colors over and under and then the finished shoelace slides out the top. I was fascinated. That's a bit of fiber art history, don't you think?

I purchased two sets. One for me and one for Gerrie. You can see them all laced up in her walking shoes on her blog.


In other news...

I had a delightful visit with Becky Howdeshell yesterday. She came over for a cappacino, studio tour, playing with Legos with Benjamin, sharing artwork and gabbing about art and Rock Star Supernova. Becky is working toward her MFA in Fibers at the University of North Texas.

It was fascinating to talk with her about the world of academia. And wonderful to see some of her work. And her collection of pieces from other fiber artists including Virginia Spiegel and Pamela Allen and many others. She also shared the new issue of the Surface Design Association magazine. It was stunning!

I should have taken pictures! You would be drooling over the pile of art we had on my studio table. (Of course, I must also get Becky's permission to post some pictures!) I also really appreciated the enthusiasm she showed for my pieces and more some ideas I've got brewing.

In fact... I spent some productive, exciting time in the studio last night.

5 comments:

Gerrie said...

How fun to see where the laces were made!

Anonymous said...

I had a wonderful time! You may certainly add some photos of the work I've collected, it is all fantastic and I'm happy to own work from fellow fiber artists.Now I just need to figure out how to acquire one of your pieces (hint, hint)

Deborah has a beautiful home, makes scrumptious cappucinos and Benjamin is a charmer with a winning smile. It was a great visit!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Cool shoelace machines. And I am on the edge of my seat anticipating your next artwork.

kathy said...

nice new friends can see the charming glimmer in benjamins eyes...did he share froggy with her?
I JUST bought the new Surface design magazine today and can't wait to get into it tonight before bed! I'll share mine with the others who are closer than you are...

PaMdora said...

I'm so glad you got the City Museum. It's one of my most favorite places in the world! Great postcards you've been posting lately, looking forward to hearing more about your workshop and the book. Glad you're so ambious despite the heat!