Here's my first in progess picture. I handpainted the fabric then wrote Maya Angelou's "On the Pulse of Morning" over then entire yard.
Then I cut it in squares with my wavy cutter and came up with this general layout. Now it needs a border.
So, I went back to painting. Knowing I needed something much darker. Then I cut that up into strips and refused. I also added the smaller squares because I can never get the traditional "square in a square" out of my mind. But, of course, I didn't want to make it traditional.
Then I decided it needed another border and I knew I didn't want to lose the irregularity of the previous border. Back to painting. Sunrise this time. Then I cut that up in just enough pieces to go around the edges and still appear like a whole cloth.
Then I added that super narrow wonky border and hang it up to let it breathe. At this point (which was back in Oct, I think) I was really pleased. The quilting was a challenge. But it's done now. I need to take some finished pictures and post them tomorrow.